Thursday, September 27, 2012

Why is the Canon AE-1 Program's viewfinder so good?

And why aren't modern DSLRs' viewfinders just as good if not better? Is it an issue of parallax or something like that? I've been using my dad's old Canon AE-1 Program on and off (have some FD lenses whose modern equivalent I can't yet afford) and when I first compared the viewfinder of the AE-1 to that of a modern Canon Digital Rebel, I was amazed by how much better the AE-1's was -- much larger and clearer.

What surprised me even more is that apparently it is better than even the high end DSLRs' like the 5D, the following being taken from Ken Rockwell's site:

"Not only is the AE-1 Program a joy to use and makes great pictures, it has a huge, bright finder. Its finder is one of the largest, clearest and brightest finders ever made. Its finder is bigger than the finder of the Canon 5D Mark II, and much bigger and brighter than the finder of the Nikon D3X.(… )"
>>> Why is the Canon AE-1 Program's viewfinder so good?