Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nikon zoom lens with most decent bokeh?

Hi, I'm an intermediate photographer with a nikon d40 and 3 basic lenses:
*kit lens: 18-55mm
*50mm f 1.8
*70-300mm f 4
*wide angle adapter

I think despite my equipment I have taken pretty decent pictures but as I grow as a photographer, my camera doesn't fulfil all of my necessities so I'm thinking on upgrading body and get a new lens.

I'm considering:
*Body: Nikon D600 (FX)
*Lens: Nikkor 24-70mm f 2.8

As you see I need to cover up the mid range and that is why I'm considering a zoom lens with nice aperture. What I'm really concerned about is that I'm planning to get a loan for buying this new gear, I know both things will cost me around $4, 000 but I think they are worth it.

I've been checking reviews on the web and I just can't make up my mind on the zoom lens decision: Ken Rockwell says 24-70 is fine but "fairly to poor" bokeh. I know you can't get both things: zoom and great bokeh in one lens and for pretty nice bokeh i know i've got my prime lens (50mm). Still we all know I can't survive with only that lens on an event such as a wedding so it is really important for me to know which mid range zoom lens by Nikon may have a decent bokeh? Many people speak up for the obviously versatile 18-200 but I feel this one doesn't have the quality of 24-70. On the other hand I don't want to spend almost $2, 000 on something I'm not sure about so suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Added (1). To Jim A: I totally understand and know what depth of field is, i studied photography.i know the wider the aperture, the "blurrier background" (bokeh) and the closest, the more details.these are basic concepts if i didn't know i wouldn't be calling myself an "intermediate" photographer. I'm just asking with the easiest terms which doesn't mean i don't know the technical terms. Prime lenses are fixed focal length and good bokeh is not only about opening a lens to its widest, it's also about it's own construction, ex.type of glass like nano, plastic parts or just glass.may be it sounded to you as i didn't know but i was just asking for suggestions.i didn't think i had to add all my knowledge to this question.i like to ask straight what i need, thanks anyways
>>> Nikon zoom lens with most decent bokeh?