Saturday, January 19, 2013

How will my bullet be effected at long range?

I recently got a 22-250 for christmas (savage axis only $330 with scope). I'm only 15 but I have been studying all the scope adjustments and things need to take long distance shots. I have been using the nikon spot on program. I set a target at 450 and fired 3 shots. 2 hit. 1 was about 2.5 inches from my 1" bullseye and one about 5.5 inches.So today with a 15 mph crosswind i set my target at what ended up being 693 yards, adjusted my scope how i thought i should and without thinking i would hit anything fired 3 shots. Well, all 3 hit. They were 4.5 inches, 5.5, and 9 inches from the bullseye. I want to try to take a 930 yard shot, cause that's the farthest shot i can take before i run out of room, but my bullet drops below the sound barrier at about 800 yards (hornady v-max 55 gr.at about 3500 fps). How will the sound barrier effect the bullet. I have never taken a shot over 350 yards until i got this gun so i have no clue what i need to do to make these shots besides the elevation and windage adjustments that i have been correctly making. I understand all the MOA adjustments and things like that but what else would i need to take into account? I know my 22-250 isn't ballistically ideal for an almost 1000 yard shot but could it even make the shot? Thanks for any help.
Added (1). The rifle is sighted in at 100 yards with me shooting under 1 inch groups. I am just making my adjustments based on a 100 yard sight in and making them correctly.So i'm thinking if i keep all my math consistent as the range increases and plug in the new data as i should, i should be able to make the 930 yard shot just the same as the 2 others.
>>> How will my bullet be effected at long range?