Friday, January 4, 2013

Secretly, is alt/indie music the biggest music genre in the world?

Lol, this is a weird idea.

OK, so right now it might seem like R&B and the Justin Bieber crowd are the definition of 'mainstream'. But I've been thinking. Indie music is everywhere.It's used in so many TV programmes (Grey's Anatomy is a prime example), to evoke emotions in audiences.It's used in adverts to encourage people to buy things (Nikon used Radical Face recently, there are so many other examples).It's used in games too. Even in shows like the X-Factor, the performances best received by the audience seem to be the alt-indie ones (in the UK, that is, and they're usually ballads, but still indie). Even in the Olympics, the commentators noticed how all the competitors from all the different countries seemed to know the lyrics to Oasis' Wonderwall. Also, no one can hate the indie scene in it's entirety.It's impossible, because it's so versatile. You're bound to like at least one indie song (probably Chasing Cars, lol) no matter what genre you're into (except maybe death metal, I dunno… ).

So what do people think? Has indie music, like a ninja, become the biggest music genre in the world without people even noticing?

Haha I know this is ridiculous, but I'd like to see some arguments for and against! Best argument either way wins the points.
Have fun XD
Added (1). @xxhavefaithxx, I agree with you.

Someone else commented on alternative and indie being pointless terms… I kind of feel awkward using them myself, but it's usually the way I explain my music taste to friends because it's so hard to label the majority of music I like. I mean, it wouldn't be true if I said 'I like most types of music', even though the labelled 'alternative' and 'indie' music does tend to incorporate most musical styles…

And sorry to anyone who likes death metal and indie… that was a stupid throwaway comment from me, just because of someone I know… ignore that.It was a bit noob-ish ;)
>>> Secretly, is alt/indie music the biggest music genre in the world?