Sunday, February 17, 2013

Is it worth upgrading from a Nikon D40X to a Nikon D3000?

I have an oldish D40X that needs a good (professional) cleaning and I was thinking of having it cleaned and gifting it to a friend's daughter who is wanting her first DSLR. I also have an opportunity to pick up a used D3000 body that will be probably about $150 more than getting the D40X professionally serviced.

Is it worth the extra money to spring for the D3000, or should I stick with having the D40X cleaned? It doesn't seem like the D3000 offers too many additional features. If the D3000 is worth it, and gives more room to grow, I'm willing to go that route. Just wanting to know if it's enough of an upgrade to be worth the extra cost.

Also, keep in mind, the camera is going to a 16 year old who up until now has only worked with point and shoots.
Added (1). This isn't for me at all. I'm going to give one of those two cameras to a teenager, for her first DSLR. I have no idea what her photography skills are (although I know she has taken some nice shots with her point and shoot), or what would best fit her. She wants a DSLR to play with and will probably look into some classes once she has one. I just want to give her some room to grow along with her first "real" camera. I'm wondering if there is enough "extra" in the D3000 to make it worth the extra cost.
>>> Is it worth upgrading from a Nikon D40X to a Nikon D3000?