Friday, August 2, 2013

Tips on photographing a small outdoor gig.?

Hi everyone! I've been asked to shoot a small gig next week that some friends of mine will be playing at. The trouble is, I've never done anything like this before and would love some tips.

The band will be probably playing outside (evening time), but may come inside to a dimly lit room if it rains. Either way they will be fairly close. A few stage lights are available inside though I'm not sure exactly which kind, more than likely green or red. This could cause problems I know.

I am by no means a professional or even relatively experienced photographer-I have a Nikon D40 that I use mostly for sports/outdoor activities (pictures of pets and horse riding) and general snapshots. These usually turn out quite well. I have a basic understanding of ISO and aperture ( assuming I am right in saying that I should up the aperture for darker rooms?)

I use 3 lenses- a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, which I think will not be helpful in this situation.
a Nikkor 50mm 1.8, I think I will probably shoot with this although I am least used to it.
and the Nikon D40 kit lens, 18-55mm.

Any and all tips and helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated..what are the most important things I should remember for shooting indoors versus outside?
Thanks

См. статью: Tips on photographing a small outdoor gig.?