Friday, May 30, 2014

Any suggestions for first SLR?

Hey! :)

I have a question which has been asked multiple times on here. However, I'm going to ask it again as i have a few questions to go along with it:)

I am very interested in getting into photography. I currently have a Bridge Camera (Nikon L120) and while it's an okay camera I am not overly happy with the picture quality or the features. I find the picture quality on my Phone matches the quality of the l120.

I mainly take nature photos/photos of lakes etc and there is no way to change the shutter speed, aperture on the camera. This leads to ALOT of blurring in moving objects. While close up objects look amazing anything far away looks blurry and awful (This could be my lack of technique/skill though?)

I don't really know ANYTHING about photography but I am starting a level one basics - adult course in August.

I was just wondering a few things.

1: What would be a good camera for somebody starting out? I am thinking maybe a SLR that bridges the gap (technically and financially) between my £130 L120 'Bridge' camera and pretty good SLR. If I enjoy the course I can then splash out a bit more at a later date (3-4 years time). Any suggestions? I don't want a professional £700 bare bones camera but I also don't want a cheapy camera that is very limiting.

2: I currently have a budget of £400-500 MAX budget. Is the above possible with this budget?

3: Should you stay away from a second hand cameras from Ebay/CEX etc?
Any suggestions for first SLR - 1

Read more: Any suggestions for first SLR?