Saturday, May 10, 2014

Video noise even at low ISOs?

I am new to dslr film making.

I have the Nikon d7000, and the kit lens 18-105 mm.

Even when I film at iso 160, the video is VERY noisy.

There is noise on the whole image, particularly the shadows. I have no idea what is wrong, I have tried various different combinations of ISO/ shutter speed/ aperture and I get the same results.

I'm filming in 1080p, 24 frames per second.

I have included an example of video at ISO 320, aperture f 3.5 and shutter speed 50. This is around the least noisy footage I can get and there is noise in the shadows, particularly under the desk in the example. Please help, how do I over come this noise? Is it a case of in camera settings or merely just the light in the scene? I am also using an IR filter (HOYA HMC uv 67mm), but its hardly relevant.

Please help me over come this noise, and any good sources for introductions to dslr film making are greatly appreciated.

Read more: Video noise even at low ISOs?