Thursday, May 1, 2014

Why are the pictures taken with my DSLR unclear/blurry?


I bought myself a DSLR, a Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm lens, and the pictures are not that clear?
They look fine when not zoomed in, but even zooming in a little bit it shows that they are not sharp (at 24.2mp they should be!), and it almost looks like the lens isn't powerful enough to focus it for the amount of pixels… Could this be the reason? Either way, I can see the pixels and the image is definitely no way near the sharpness of the pixels.

Here's a picture example, which looks fine:

But when you zoom in in the top right of the bridge, you can see that the picture is not that sharp or unfocused: Why are the pictures taken with my DSLR unclear blurry

I know it doesn't really look bad, but when the image is enlarged it is quite apparent.

Why does this do this? Is this the lens that cannot focus it sharply (what lens do you recommend then?), or what?

Here's the information about the camera settings when I took it (although it's like this for all images):

F-stop f/10
Exposure time 1/250 sec.
ISO 400
Focal length 55mm
Bit Depth 24
Format Compressed RAW (12-bit)

I am new to photography so anything would help!

Thanks!
Added (1). Also, I haven't done any "sharpening" to the image as it just makes it look worse. I've edited white balance, etc, but is looks the same before the edit.

Read more: Why are the pictures taken with my DSLR unclear/blurry?