Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What DPI is okay for large scale printing?

Hello, I have recently displayed some of my photography in a gallery for the first time. I only printed relatively small prints at 300dpi which with my 18mp camera was around A3 size. I know the best resolution for print is 300dpi but many other exhibitors images were huge A2+ sized. With my 18MP camera or in fact even a very high end Canon/Nikon SLR that has a similar number of MP it would mean printing at around 200dpi or lower for A2+ sized images.

My question is how low can I go with the dpi? I understand in a gallery you are viewing them from a distance but even so these huge images were still quite sharp close up. I guess they may have been shot with a film camera. I would experiment with sizes if I had a large scale printer myself however it costs a lot to get a large print done so I can't afford to experiment, it would be nice to have some opinions from fellow photographers.

Thanks in advance.

Read more: What DPI is okay for large scale printing?