Monday, December 15, 2014

Advice for concert photography. Having trouble with red lighting?

I've recently gotten into concert photography for a website. I've been doing photography for a couple of years now, mostly just casually until a friend of a friend saw a few shots I put up from some events I had attended.

Long story short I've started doing photography for his music website. When I do larger shows, I tend to not have any problems. There's enough lighting that I'm competent enough to get the shots I want. However when I do smaller shows, particularly at this one place that loves red lighting, I'm struggling. Is there any advice someone can give me for shooting in red lighting? My photos are coming out somewhat blurry and washed out.

I've figured out the blue lighting the place likes to use. Using Photoshop's skin tone corrector seems to clear that up no problem, but red is a thorn in my side.

I'm shooting with the Sony Nex system, with mostly prime lenses, but I've had the same trouble with the zoom lenses as well. Don't knock the camera as I have plenty of great shots from the concerts I've attended. I'm more concerned with knowing a setting that might get me past this lighting, not "Get a Nikon/Canon".

Read more: Advice for concert photography. Having trouble with red lighting?