Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DSLR or High-end Ultrazoom Camera?

I'm trying photography as a new hobby/spare-time activity. Could someone please suggest me on getting a good camera.

My interests (sorted by priority)

1) Bird photography
2) Wildlife photography (Mostly in safaris, wild-life parks, sanctuaries etc)
3) Nature & Landscapes
4) Creating films that look like a film (cinematic look)
5) Everything else including portraits or special moments.

I know DSLRs gives the best of the picture quality, but I'm not so sure that a DSLR suits me better than a high-end ultrazoom cameras like Panasonic FZ150/200, or Sony HX200V or similar cameras from Nikon and Canon.

My questions.

1) Is 300mm long enough to shoot birds or animals in a Safari? How long (in feet or meters) can a 300mm zoom in?

2) At 300mm, with an ordinary Tamron or Sigma 70-300mm lens, can a DSLR like Nikon D5100 beat the picture quality of a ultrazoom P&S?

I can buy a DSLR, a 1.8D lens and Tamron or Sigma 70-300 normal lens. Can't invest on heavy duty or premium lenses. And buying a ultrazoom is just a piece of cake for me at this moment.

What do you suggest?

I pretty much look for quality in picture than any fancy stuff. And the picture quality of the cameras like Panasonic FZ150/200 isn't bad either.
>>> DSLR or High-end Ultrazoom Camera?