Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Possible battery leak inside Nikon F-501?

I recently was given my Grandad's old camera a Nikon F-501, and he was always one for looking after his things so there is no problem with anything on the camera, except because he has been sadly gone since 2001, I guess the camera has just sat since then.

I opened up the battery compartment and there were the old batteries still in there, around the end of one was a crust which I guess was where a battery had leaked and then been left to dry? My Nan wouldn't have at any point looked or opened the camera, I replaced the batteries after cleaning up the crust, but there is no life in the camera.

Would the battery leak probably have ruined the internals of the camera? I can't get any signal from it no matter what I try, I'm new to the photography world so I don't really know what to try, so any help would be appreciated.
>>> Possible battery leak inside Nikon F-501?