Friday, November 16, 2012

Continuous interval shooting stops after 7th exposure?

I have a Nikon D5000, and recently I've been using this with my 18-55mm and 50mm 1.4g to take star trail and timelapse photos. I've been using the interval shooting setting in my camera and shooting in RAW.
Last night with my first attempt, I used my 50mm, set to f2.8, ISO 320 with an exposure time of 30 secs. The number of intervals was set to 100, with an interval of 2 seconds between each exposure. When I start the shoot, everything goes fine until about 7 or 8 exposures and then my camera stops taking photos. Although after this shoot, I realised that long exposure noise reduction was set OFF but high ISO noise reduction set to ON.
So my second attempt I decided to use my 18-55mm lens at 18mm, f3.5, 320 ISO, 30 sec exposure time and with the same interval shooting settings except changed the number of intervals to 200 (decided I wanted to take more photos..Am I right in saying that the number of intervals is around the number of shots your camera will take?) I also checked that long exposure noise reduction was off and the same for high iso noise reduction. This time I started the shoot and waited, and it continued to shoot to the 10th exposure so I thought I would leave it and come back a bit later to see if it was still shooting. I came back about 20 minutes later and my camera had once again stopped taking photos. Also I should mention that I did have my camera set to continuous shooting mode. And battery was fine, still had 2 bars after shooting.
Anyone know what could be the problem?
>>> Continuous interval shooting stops after 7th exposure?