Sunday, November 25, 2012

Is this depth of field?

I used my aunts really nice lens yesterday, and loved the results I got. Example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adripendletonphotography/8213247370/in/photostream/
and…
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adripendletonphotography/8212156149/in/photostream

They were taken with a Canon(not sure what model) and a 70-200 lens. What I really love about these is the way the background is so blurred out.Is this what depth of field is?

My new lens(the Nikkor 18-200mm VR) should be here within a week, and I'm wondering if the lens I'm getting is capable of making the backgrounds of my pictures like the ones I linked to above.My old lens(the standard kit lens) never did this for me.

So, is this depth of field? And how do I get results like that with my new lens - if possible?

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm pretty new to photography, but I'm learning quickly :)
Added (1). Jack - A? As in Auto? I think you may have meant manual, which is what I shoot in.
>>> Is this depth of field?