Thursday, November 8, 2012

Lumix FZ200, Canon SX40/50HS, or something else?

I've been a semi-pro photographer (still images) for some years now, and I've been interested in making videos for some time, but I always get confused when it comes to choosing a video camera.It's just way more complicated than choosing a still image camera. I'm using a Nikon system right now and I know from first hand experience that Nikon SLR's still produce pretty crappy videos, so going the video SLR route is not viable unless I go double system and buy Canons for video. I'll be using the video cameras for both professional and personal use. I do not think I need a broadcasting grade video camera, but if that's the only real option I have, I will save up for it.

I currently have the Canon SX40 HS, and while I am quite satisfied with its still image output, I can't say the same for its video output. The SX40 just hunts too much while recording video, and the videos seem too noisy in low light situations. Does the SX50 or the FZ200 make better videos in low light?

something like this would be my goal in the future:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-NEXFS700UK/

alas, I do not have 10, 000 dollars to spend on a new video camera yet, so basically I'm looking for the best compromise of this camera. Something with pretty good video IQ, no weird focus hunting, higher FPS recording is a plus, but not necessary, and either a flexible range or interchangeable lenses.
>>> Lumix FZ200, Canon SX40/50HS, or something else?