Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Color shift to red with D600?

After 5 years with a D300, I just got a D600. There are many things to learn, but the color rendition has me baffled. I have very happy with my card-to-monitor-to-print colors with the D300 all along.

I admit that I am using a cheap LCD computer monitor, but it has worked out. I tried to calibrate the monitor with a Spyder3 - three times - and each time left my monitor incredibly blue. I went back factory defaults, which were working fine.

I have only shot about 100 frames, but they are noticeably tinted magenta. This is especially evident when the subject includes Caucasian skin. They look great on the D600 LCD, of course, but they look very pink on my monitor. When I print, I have adjusted the brightness about +25 in CS4 and the print is still too dark.

Do I need to find or create a different color profile for the D600? Where would I find this in CS4 or on the Internet? Any suggestions - especially from D600 users - will be appreciated.

Camera: Nikon D600
Lens: Nikkor 28-300, most used so far
Dell XPS computer
Dell "base" LCD monitor
Epson Stylus Photo RX580
Windows XP
Photoshop CS4

I am looking for a solution that will work with JPGs shot with my D600, so unless it is the ONLY solution, please do not simply suggest a new software, like CS6 or Lightroom, which do not run under Windows 95.

I looked at one sample image from a friend's D600. He is a studio pro with 30 years experience and he says the image looks fine. HIS D600 file looks just as bad on my monitor as mine do.

There does not appear to be a Camera RAW upgrade for the D600 for CS4, either, so just shooting in RAW won't help. That's a whole other issue.

SUMMARY: After 5 years of no color issues with the D300, the D600 is displaying a decidedly magenta color cast. I am looking for a plug-in or other fix for this problem.

Thanks for all suggestions.
>>> Color shift to red with D600?