Saturday, March 2, 2013

How to convince my parents to let me buy my own DSLR?

I don't know if the title is a bit confusing so I'll clarify here. I've had a part time job for about 4 months until I quit recently because my second semester classes were really demanding. I've already purchased an iPad (with my own money) so that i wouldn't have to risk taking the family laptop to school, despite my parent's reluctance. With the leftover money that I managed to save up, I have enough money to buy a DSLR that I have been eyeing for a while now (Sony a57). Unfortunately the upgrade to the Sony a57 (a58) has been announced and it isn't much of an upgrade.As such, the a57 is also on clearance sale which makes the deal sweeter. But the Sony a57 isn't here to stay and I don't want to wait until it is no longer sold in stores.

The problem here is that my parents are very reluctant to allow me to use my own money to buy technology because of some pride-ish thing they have about not being able to afford things that i want (my family isnt extremely well off). I am not inexperienced in photography as I have spent the last two years taking pictures with my uncle's Nikon F3 (film camera btw) and I really think the Sony a57 is the best camera that I can afford (no comments about Canon or Nikon alternatives please, I've exhaustively researched my options). However my parents are never satisfied with my darkroom prints and therefore don't believe that I have enough "capability" to use a DSLR even though I have been using a full manual SLR. I am at my wit's end and I really don't know how to explain to my parents that I should be able to purchase a DSLR at my own expense to improve my photographic background. I would like to know if anyone can provide me some advice or points that are unarguable and will convince my parents to let me purchase a DSLR.
>>> How to convince my parents to let me buy my own DSLR?