Sunday, August 11, 2013

The next step in photography - Learner to Serious Amateur?

Hey guys,
Like most even i am stuck at this point where you have made the most of your camera (feel that have done that), and want to move on to better platform. I am in no way going to go into professional photography. I want to improve my hobby professionally.
So here my doubts:
I am always travelling and i am more into landscapes.
My kit: Nikon D5100, 18-55 and 50mm ( like all learners )
Budget: Not much of an issue.

1. Camera: I tried my hand on d90 and trust me i was able to click far better pics than my friend using it for over an year. Now which should be my next camera? The D90, D7000, D600 or D800? I feel D7100 is waste of money and D7000 is still good in that range. Okay in all these cameras, the cost range is substantial. I have plans to move on now or in the near future. Eventually all buy expensive cameras, as they say there is no easy way to it. Its an expensive hobby no doubt about it. Like i said, i would never get into professional photography and would keep it to hobby.So is there a need for me to move to full frame or i should rest at d7000. I dont want to buy these cameras and think a year later that i should have gone for a better camera.So, should i invest in the big dogs now or should practice more with slightly next level cameras?

2. Lenses: More importantly, all suggest that i must invest in lenses. After seeing my pics, one of my professional photographer friend suggested me to invest in my kit.My needs are, like i am always travelling so wide angle would be good for me. But then i dont want to loose on zoom and also if you are on street and or on vacation with my gf and a basic wide to zoom. I travel a lot, so weight is definitely an issue. Like i am answering most of my questions, but i know am mostly wrong in my approach. He suggested 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 (All 2.8, nikon). Lovely kit, but $$$$$. Budget is not an issue, but its always there. These lenses are super expensive. What i planned is 11-16 (Tokina), 16-85 (or 18-105) and 70-300 (nikon). 16-85 or 18-105 for general use. Any more options or suggestions?

Okay so i hope i was able to tell you my confusion. Should i like invest in the cheaper lenses or the 2.8 kit? Should i continue with d5100 or move on to a better DX or move on to FX?

Like i said its pure hobby, and its the whole feeling of seeing your pics coming out good and creativity and not to prove anything to anyone.So, please suggest me. How should i plan ahead?

См. статью: The next step in photography - Learner to Serious Amateur?