Sunday, June 15, 2014

DSLR Photography: Expensive DSLRs vs CHEAP?

I recently picked up my first DSLR. I began shooting car photos with a Sony Cybershot 20.1 MP point and shoot. I needed a DSLR to improve my photography. So I went with a Nikon D3200. This camera is about 500 bucks with a 18-55 VR lens. I have been already shooting in manual mode and getting the hang of exposure.

To me, the sole purpose of buying a camera is to achieve the BEST quality possible. Isnt that what DSLRs are about? Getting the most crystal clear photo possible. With perfect exposure and colors etc…

I am browsing through many car photos on Flickr tonight and I see so many semi profesional photographers shooting great photos with $1500-2000+ cameras. I ask myself why? It may seem like a very stupid, naive question to most. But photo quality can only get So good before its impossible to get any better. With my Nikon D3200, with better lenses, I know i can achieve the EXACT same quality and image as a camera that costs 3x mine does.

I understand more advanced photographers need FASTER cameras to increase efficiency (faster SS, more features). I realize that top of the line cameras can shoot photos at great shutter speeds and can shoot 50 photos a second, etc. But i feel like a lot of money is wasted for some photographers when they can buy a great lens and slam it on an entry level DSLR like mine, and achieve the same quality.

I'm not saying I am right. I am just telling you my thoughts. And was curious to see what others have to say. Thanks!

Read more: DSLR Photography: Expensive DSLRs vs CHEAP?