Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Upgrading from a Canon EOS 40D: What Camera to Buy?

As the title suggests I am looking to upgrade my Canon 450D and I am undecided, since there are a few options. Yes, I know a better body doesn't mean better images, but there are a few things I am wanting that I can't get with my current camera: higher ISO settings (mine maxes out at 1,600 and the noise is really, really bad.), better noise performance, better quality and a higher res image, and the tilty-flippy screen is really enticing for when I want to take a shot at an awkward angle or for when I am doing street photography and I don't want my subject knowing I a photographing them.

The 60D looks good because of the screen.

The Nikon D3300 looks like it handles noise really well and has great image quality, even though it is an entry-level offering. Would it be worth swapping brands just for this? I have already bought Canon's "nifty fifty" and have a cheap (well, it was about £70-80 used, so I'm not sure how much it is new) 70-300mm telephoto lens.

I'm also in debate between the 7D and have heard the 550D is quite good for its price.

Do you have recommendations? Which would you buy and why?
Added (1). Note: I will only be purchasing the body and not any of their respective kit lenses.

Read more: Upgrading from a Canon EOS 40D: What Camera to Buy?