Saturday, July 19, 2014

Problems with photographing star trails?

So today I decided to try and shoot a star trail. I have a nikon d3200 with an 18-55 kit lens and I used an shutter release timer remote. I did 60 1 minute exposure with one second in between exposures. I think that is where I went wrong, with the interval timing. I stacked all my images together using StarStax, and the trails came out as dotted lines versus solid lines. Is there a way to fix this?

here's another example very similar to what happened to my photo ( I don't own this photo)
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3494287?post=51532673&image=0

and this is the type of star trail I want:
Problems with photographing star trails - 1

- see how this one right above has fluid, solid trails versus the first one? That's what I'm confused about

Read more: Problems with photographing star trails?