Sunday, August 10, 2014

Which type of lens is better for handheld low light photography?

I am looking for lenses for my DSLR to upgrade from my kit lens so that I can improve image quality on my trip to Disneyland, especially in low light conditions since my fastest lens is f/3.5 (18-55mm kit lens). I am trying to decide whether it would be better to get an f/2.8 lens with image stabilization or an f/1.8 lens without image stabilization (the specific lenses are the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8). I plan to use the lens without a tripod as much as I can, especially on dark rides. Would I benefit more from the image stabilization or the wider aperture? I have a Nikon D3000, so anything above ISO1600 is out of the question, and anything above ISO800 looks terrible.

Read more: Which type of lens is better for handheld low light photography?