Sunday, December 14, 2014

A7 MkII as a full frame upgrade?

I do a lot of handheld indoor/low light photography (think concerts) as well as outdoor/landscape. I see that my crop-sensor camera suffers a lot when my ISO is cranked up… Most of my shots at ISO 3200 or above are unusable garbage. While I have a tripod and external flash, I cannot use these b/c they impede my mobility and aggravate people, respectively.

I'm drooling over the A7 MkII's 5-axis stabilization, and after playing with the original A7 in-store, I envy the assisted digital zoom when manual focusing. With my eyesight deteriorating because my day job requires me to sit in front of a monitor all day, it's really hard for me to use a viewfinder when in manual mode. I almost exclusively use auto-focus, but no AF works that great in the dark, which is why I really like the assisted digital zoom.

I probably won't be selling off my D7100, unless the A7 MkII proves to be more useful.

That said, I'd like some input before comitting $2k.

And on that note, is the kit lens that comes with the A7 MkII any decent?

I currently run on a Nikon D7100.
Added (1). I'm looking at the A7 MkII b/c of cost. For $2000 USD, that sounds like a great deal for a FF option w/ a kit lens.

I dream of getting a FF Canon, but that's at least $1000 more than I'm willing to spend.

Read more: A7 MkII as a full frame upgrade?