Sunday, December 14, 2014

Explanation of Camera Lenses and lighting?

I recently purchased a Nikon D3300 and only have the lens it comes with, a 18-55mm. I'm able to take some good pics but I feel like I really need something to focus on. I really want to get something as small as the texture and detail on a rock or moss "hairs." Lower mm to higher mm is for range/distance so do I just need a lower mm or a special lens altogether?

I only use manual mode and plan to go to school for photography so I wanted some info on how lights should be used and what lights I should get/use. Outside lighting is fine now no matter how dark the day is so far but in an incandescent room I just can't get anything to show up even after playing around any tips other than using flash?

I'm open to any other info and advice I'm signing up in a few months and trying to get a head start. I really appreciate the help and time you took to read all this.

Read more: Explanation of Camera Lenses and lighting?