Sunday, November 4, 2012

A good camera for photography?

Recently, I have fell in love with photography. I am only 13 year old, and don't need the whole shabang with the extra lenses and stuff. I travel a lot, so I need something pretty portable, and I can carry for long distances. Also, I don't want one for just photography, but also as just a camera that me and my friends pose in front of. This is why I am debating between DSLR (SLR, idk the difference) or Compact System. I know that on a photography note, SLR would be better, but it also has to be practical. I am going with a friend to Costa Rice over Spring break, and I am not feeling up to lugging something gigantic miles around a rainforest. Now, as far as advancing in photography, I want to improve.

I was looking at the Nikon J1, but I have no clue if that would be good for what I am looking for.

Things I need-
- Portable
- Has somewhat good zoom (to get up close, very important)
- Under 500 dollars
- I take nature/outdoor shots the most.

Can somebody help me find a perfect camera? I would preferably stick to major name brands (ie, Nikon, Sony, Canon)

Oh, and if you are gonna use camera lingo, can you explain why that is good/bad?

Thanks so much!
>>> A good camera for photography?