Tuesday, November 6, 2012

How useful is this lens?

I am interested in buying a Nikon D5100. The Nikon D5100 is normally $580, but for $760 you also get a "Af-S Dx Vr 55-200mm F/4-5.6g" lens with it. How useful is this lens? For $580 you get the standard 18-55mm lens.Is there really such a difference between these two lenses that it is worth spending nearly 200 dollars more to get the second one?
For information, I am a beginner photographer but am learning and becoming more and more experienced. I like taking a variety of photos; outdoors, portraits, macro, etc.
What types of pictures will the second lens allow me to take that the first, basic one won't? I am also considering saving for a good macro lens.Is it more useful to not buy the second lens, buy the $580 camera, and use the saved money for a macro lens?

Thank you.
Added (1). The second lens is $300 dollars by itself.By getting the combined package, I save over $100.Is it useful to therefore buy the package, and perhaps save the lens until I get more experienced? I'm only 18 and don't have thousands of dollars to spend though, and so want to only buy quite useful lenses that can be used often.
>>> How useful is this lens?