Friday, December 21, 2012

Weird D5100 shutter speed?

I play around with shutter speed in Mode 'A'. This is what I notice. Without an external speedlite or with the built-in flash 'OFF", the shutter speed can be set as high as 1/4000. But as soon as I pop up the flash, the shutter speed immediately go down to 1/200 and that's the highest. Shouldn't it be the other way around, because higher shutter speed needs more light for correct exposure? That's weird. I just bought my D5100 about 3 weeks ago and WAS very happy about it, until I found this high speed sync problem! And to make it worst, today, I just bought a high speed sync Yongnuo speedlite, YN-568EX, only to find out my investment in the speedlite was useless. Should've just bought a cheaper YN-565EX instead.My Q is, Is that normal for Nikon D5100? or is there something wrong with my D5100?

Thanks
Sam
>>> Weird D5100 shutter speed?