Friday, December 28, 2012

What is the proper setup for hooking up mics and instruments to a camera?

I'm new to music tech, so pardon my excessive lack of terminology and "theory". But I believe I have a basic idea of how it may work. What I'm trying to do is plug audio recording devices to my camera(Nikon d5100) for helping a friend record her covers, for she is an aspiring musician. Now the jack on my camera is a standard 3.5mm female.So I need a microphone with a 3.5mm male.
Also, could I hook up a mic and an instrument into a double 3.5mm female hub with a single male(does that make sense?). Would that record correctly?
Mic into Hub
Hub into Camera
Instrument into Hub

Now my friend says her mic can plug into her guitar(an acoustic/electric). She doesn't know if it'll channel her mic to the amplifier.Is that how that works?
Mic into Guitar into 3.5mm jack converter into Camera?
Again I'll remind you I don't know all the correct terms. Please correct any theory. Any assistance you could give me would be most helpful. Thanks!
>>> What is the proper setup for hooking up mics and instruments to a camera?