Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Why do primes outside of the 35-50mm range seem to be so expensive and limited in options?

Outside of this range they seem to go up considerably in price. The Nikon 85mm 1.8g is nearly $500. The 24mm 1.4g, which is about the only one I can find wider than 28mm, is over $2, 000. That's more than the 24-70, which is considered an almost perfect lens in every reespect. Granted, you do get that extra aperture, 2 stops I think, but there really should be a cheaper, less fast aperture alternative. People reccomend a videographer use primes for their cheapness and quality. I spent ages looking for a below 18mm prime, and I found nothing current. I think I found an old 20mm 2.8 or something, and it was about $450! On the other hand you can get the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 zoom for about $200 extra.It's much wider and has a zoom range (and apparently astonishing quality). What is with the cost and generally small range of out-of-the-norm range primes?
>>> Why do primes outside of the 35-50mm range seem to be so expensive and limited in options?