Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Am I the only one unhappy with Nikon service?

This is a copy of my 11/16/12 complaint to BBB. BBB posted it 11/20/12.So far there is no response from Nikon. Has anyone ever had similar problem with Nikon?

Nature of Complaint: Guarantee Or Warranty Issues - A dispute regarding the warranty coverage and/or terms
Problem:
I purchased a Nikkor 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR lens from BH Photo, arrival date April 13, 2011. Serial number US26015999. I promptly filled in the Nikon Extended Coverage card and mailed it to Nikon. That extends the Nikon warranty from the standard 1 year to 5 years. I mainly use this lens with my Nikon D90 body. The lens worked mostly beautifully at first.In the last year it seems like it has been having increasing autofocus errors, especially at the shorter focal lengths. Blame the body, my technique, or the lens? It seems like the body rarely has autofocus error with other lenses. Trying the lens on an older D60 body, I think I got fewer errors than with the D90, but still more than I should with this lens. When it is wrong it seems to focus as if my subject were closer than it is. I place my autofocus sensor carefully to make user error unlikely. Looking at user reviews by others, most are happy with this lens. A minority of reviewers report autofocus error problems that seem similar to mine. One reviewer said that Nikon service found the autofocus module to be defective.In September 2012 I sent the lens to Nikon's service facility in El Segundo, California, service order 5978634.It was covered by the extended warranty. Their result was to report it to have been tested and showing no problem.My experiments with the lens is that it still has a problem with autofocus.

Desired Outcome
Desired Settlement: Repair
Desired Outcome:
I would like to send in the lens for warranty service again, but I need it to be more seriously tested and actually fixed.
>>> Am I the only one unhappy with Nikon service?