Saturday, June 15, 2013

Is the AF-S DX 18-105mm lens good for a beginner?

I've decided on getting the Nikon D5100 as it's in my budget, and is reasonable for saving up. I've begun saving up/snooping around and doing research etc.and I've found a relatively decent priced package for £449.95 (including VAT).It has an AF-S DX 18-105mm VR lens within the package. I just would like some advice.
It's my first DSLR, but I've been doing a lot of research, and have had an interest in photography for quite a while. I have heard/read that you should avoid 'starter kit lenses', but I'm not sure if they're really reliable sources.It's f/3.5-5.6 so 18mm focal length with maximum aperture of f/3.5 and 105mm focal length with maximum apperture of f/5.6. I haven't had much experience with difference of lenses etc., the only instance being with film cameras and lenses, and even then it was only between two different lenses.
It would be used mainly for portrait photography, of family, the dog/cat (who does stay generally still, but may move a little) so always/mainly a focus subject in the photograph.
I was just wandering, for a first DSLR & lens, is it good quality for money? I mean, I can only really afford to save for this and will ask for about £50 of input for a christmas present (so I pay about £400 and my present from family is about £50 contribution.) I will expand on my lenses later on in my photography life, but for now I don't have the money, so is it good for my budget, uses of it and level?
If you have any better lens suggestions for me, please say! Thanks!

См. статью: Is the AF-S DX 18-105mm lens good for a beginner?