Friday, June 13, 2014

Battery life and camera age?

Just been wondering about something battery related.

Obviously, batteries lose power with age and become less effective. And given that I use, among others, a Sigma DP3 Merrill, I'm very familiar with poor battery life. I have four batteries in total, and now two of them (the original ones) are literally useless. They can't hold a charge, and the two which can will give me maybe 30 or 40 shots before packing it in. Luckily they're small and cheap to replace.

What I was curious about is whether there are other factors, like the connectors (if that's the word), or something else within the electronics, which also affect battery life.

I was checking out (with half a mind to buy; it was an extremely good deal) a very well used Nikon D3 last week, and I happened to notice that the battery life indicator was on "3", i.e. "pretty well used, gonna be time to replace it soon"). I'm guessing that it was the original battery.

Assuming I were to put a brand new battery in it, and run it through a few cycles, would it still provide the number of shots that it would have in a brand new D3 from 2007 (which, I believe, was hundreds and hundreds, even into the thousands, on a single charge)? Or will the age of the camera effect the performance of even a new battery?

I know some of you guys and girls still use D3s and cameras of that age - any experiences? Thanks in advance.

Read more: Battery life and camera age?