Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Is the sensor on DSLR scratched?

Please be mature on this post! Ok, so, I'm on vacation and I was taking some very good landscape photos. Then all of a sudden I see a spec in the sky that shouldn't be there. I cleaned the lens to make sure that wasn't the problem then I checked again, still there. I figured it was on the sensor. I have a dslr cleaning kit with the rocket blower. I used that to see if the spec could be removed that way. Nope, and it seemed like it got worse. Before I used the blower it was one somewhat dark spec, afterwards, it looked like the spec split in two and there was a slight smear. So I took it a local camera shop. The salesperson told me the sensor was scratched and needed to be sent to Nikon for repair. I looked at the photos he took and you can barely see the specs. Did he fix it or what? I took it to another camera shop for a second opinion and he told me that the sensor is just dusty. Should I be worried?

Read more: Is the sensor on DSLR scratched?