Saturday, June 7, 2014

Photography Tips! Car photography, Help?

Hey folks, amateur photographer here. Just picked up my first DSLR yesterday. A Nikon D3200. Love the camera. Will fit my needs for a few years i believe. It came with the 18-55mm VR Lense…

I have a question. Im starting to shoot in manual mode and getting fairly good at still motion photography. I plan to buy a new lense but specifically for car photography. I love shooting cars especially my own.

However, I am confused to why I cannot get a very soft background (like a portrait almost). Nothing too wild… But here is a PERFECT example:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xstartxtodayx/7760826846/in/photolist-9AZq65-9AY71o-9B1gwG-e6aGwS-byWVk6-cPNgrq-7kjGVS-dXAgN1-dXAh2E-bjNJx3-dXuvQV-dXutxx-dXA7Qh-dXukrc-dXzZ9d-dXupdc-dXAd61-dXAeSU-dXA765-dXAfW5-dXzYJ1-dXAdFs-dXunHX-dXupGV-dXA9Wq-dXA9Gy-dXzZAS-dXzVeL-dXAefE-dXufXF-dXA8Qw-dXugQx-dXAc3E-dXzWTu-dXzWFN-dXzYXj-dXuhi8-dXzYdb-dXAgAu-dXufKz-dXA4L9-dXA5wY-dXuwQ8-dXA34E-dXAfgq-dXujmr-dXui2D-dXA3hd-dXuuXX-dXuxbK

I know that I have an entry level camera, and need some lenses to create this shot. But what is the best lense/technique/advice to get to make a car in focus sharply with a blurred background?

I understand how aperature works… Kinda. Thanks

Read more: Photography Tips! Car photography, Help?