Thursday, July 10, 2014

What camera to get next? Upgrade from D5100?

Hi, I am an amateur photographer. I bought my Nikon D5100 about a year and a half ago and I think I am outgrowing it and I want to move up to a better camera. I do work professionally in photography so the quality is mattering more and more with each job. I want a new Nikon camera with a more impressive ability to shoot in low light situations as well as greater megapixel. I understand that lenses are a big factor as well. So I just want help picking a camera.

I am willing to spend about $2000 total. However, I want to use some of that on a nice lens. So a camera costing under $1400 would be nice. I am considering the D7100, D610, and D800. I would love to get the D7100 because I can buy it right now. It's about $700 refurbished and I have that. But if I wait about three months, I can afford the D610 or D800. So my question is, is the D610 a whole lot better than the D7100? Worth the wait? And is the D800 way better than the D610?
Can I use my current lenses on those? I have a 50mm f1.8 and an 18-55mm VR. Last question, what is a really nice overall lens that would go with one of those models? I predominantly shoot portraits, family photos, and conceptual art work.

Read more: What camera to get next? Upgrade from D5100?