Saturday, August 2, 2014

Newer Nikon Camera with significant quality difference over the Nikon D40x?

I bought a Nikon D40x six years ago and later added a Nikon 18 - 200 mm lens. I like the camera and the photos it takes. People often compliment my photographs. But on a cruise recently, I was amazed at the quality of the portrait photos the ship's photographers took with their Nikon cameras. I asked the guy how he got such great photos and he said "start by buying a $3,500 camera".

My question is what model or price of Nikon camera would I need to move up to in order to see a difference in my photos? I know equipment isn't everything but a much larger sensor has to make a difference so where is that sensor size level ( and thus price level) where a newer Nikon model would show a better quality photo?

Read more: Newer Nikon Camera with significant quality difference over the Nikon D40x?