Monday, November 10, 2014

How to stabilize my camera?

So I recently got a Opteka SteadyVid SV-HD. I really love it. It works great. However I think I am balancing it wrong or something. I mean the stabilizer itself does the job perfectly. But I cant seem to control it that well. I have a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens mounted on the stabilizer. But I really cant seem to get 10 feet without the whole stabilizer wanting to turn in a certain direction. I also experience a swaying issue. When I am walking/running with the stabilizer. When I stop the thing always wants to sway. By that I mean the camera will be facing straight, but when I stop. The camera will look up and the counter weight will sway forward as well. I am very experienced with this camera. But I am really having issues with the stabilizer. Do you think my camera is too light for the weights? And how could I fix this?

My second question is on how to handle the stabilizer… I don't know how to hold it so I can control where the camera looks but still keep the footage steady even while running? Is there a certain technique I should be using. Any youtube videos that would help? I have seen a lot of videos on balancing stabilizers but nothing on handling it properly.

Read more: How to stabilize my camera?