Monday, November 9, 2015

Tips for switching to film?


I've been interested in photography for several years. I'm by no means a professional, but I know my way around a camera and I have a bit of experience. It's a hobby, but a fairly serious hobby. I have a few friends who are also photographers and some shoot film- they all started out on digital, in this modern day and age, but switched to film for various reasons. The most compelling one I have heard is that film forces you to really think about what you're shooting, because you have to pay for the film and pay for development and you can't just go and shoot several hundred shots in an afternoon. I have been thinking about joining (or at least trying out) the film world. I have a camera that was once my father's. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for the technical aspects of switching. For example, I've heard about the sunny 16 rule (or something similar) where on a sunny day, at f/16, you can shoot ISO 100 film at 1/100s, or ISO 400 film at 1/400s, etc. I would mostly be using the film camera for landscapes and stick with my Nikon for sports.
If it helps, these are the cameras/lenses
Digital:
Nikon d7100
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

Film:
Minolta SLR (not sure which model, as it's still shipping from across the country)
Minolta 55mm f/1.7
Minolta 28mm f/3.5
Saligor 300mm f/5.5

Read more: Tips for switching to film?