Monday, December 31, 2012

Nikkor 35mm or 50mm on a D90?

I'm facing in a huge dilemma right now. I'm planning to buy my first prime lens, but I cannot decide which one I should choose, between:

AF-S Nikkor 35mm f1.8G DX and
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f1.8G

I'm using a Nikon D90, and I'm planning to do portraits but i want to slip in a bit of full body shots.

I felt safe with the 35mm as my first choice, but it seems that no one's selling it in the location where I'm buying from.So I was thinking maybe I'll go for 50mm, but I fear that it may be too tight depending on my setting since I'm using a crop sensor. And this confuses me.

When using 50mm on a DX, How far do I have to go make a full body shot fit? assuming the subject is, say, 5'5" - 6 ft tall? Does the 50mm become 85mm? I have a DX kit lens 18-105, so should I test it on 50mm or 85mm? I can't try the actual lens personally, because there are no dslr/lens stores in my location, and my uncle from UAE will be the one to buy it for me.

I accept other better recommendations, as long as its as affordable. Your help will be very much appreciated. And sorry if my english isn't perfect.
>>> Nikkor 35mm or 50mm on a D90?