Thursday, December 27, 2012

D5100 blur trouble with self-timer?

I was wondering if anyone had a possible explanation for this? I just got my Nikon 5100 and I am very pleased with it for the most part, but I'm been having some with self-timer…

The lens I am trying to shoot self-portraits with a Nikon 55-200mm. If I keep the the lens at 55mm and put the self-timer on (10 seconds), I run to the focus point during the count down, hold still for a few seconds, and on that setting it comes out crisp. Now, if I set the lens any amount over … anywhere from 70mm-135mm, the finishing shot in blurry if I attempt a self-portrait. If I do not run in front of the lens within the 10 seconds and just take it take a picture, it's perfectly clear. Odd huh? When I get in front of the camera, I keep still for at least 2 "beeps" before self-timer runs out and a picture is taken. Even keeping still within the last few seconds, the finishing shot is blurred.

(My camera sits on the counter so it is not moving in self-timer mode. Plus, my lens is VR (Vibration-Reduction)

Any insight on this?

Thank you!
Added (1). Auto-focus is on because I didn't disable it. I make sure I see my face within the square as the camera prepares for a shot.

I'm not sure about 'pre-setting' the auto-focus. That's definitely new to me. I'll see how to manipulate how it focuses more.

Thanks for your help so far!
>>> D5100 blur trouble with self-timer?