Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Nikon vs Canon - which brand provides better value for lenses?

Please answer the question that's been asked, do not try to read between the lines something that's not there. Asking about lenses only, not cameras or flashes.

I've been an avid user of Nikon DSLRs for a few years. However, I'm finding that I can't find perfect combination of lenses for the kind of shots I'm doing (mostly taking pictures of my toddler, who's constantly moving, most shots done at 6-15ft), and was considering getting a secondary DSLR from Canon, just to try it out.

So, the primary reason for this experiment is to try out the lenses. If you've had both Nikon and Canon in the past, which brand did you prefer, when comparing available options, sharpness (and other factors resulting in picture quality), speed of autofocus, and overall value for money? Anything particular you like or don't like about Canon lenses generally?

Only looking for lenses released past-2005. Primarily, because I want to get every last bit of sharpness out of them (which most older lenses can't provide, since they weren't made for 20MP sensors), and IS is a must. I'm planning to only buy Canon lenses, not Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.
Expecting to spend in the range of $300-400 for zoom (will be buying used, likely just one universal, in the rough range 20-120mm, hopefully something fast and with IS), and maybe $150 or so for primes (also will likely only get single prime, f/1.8-f/2, 35-50mm). My favourite Nikon lens now is 24-85mm VR, though I don't like its semi-slow AF.

Read more: Nikon vs Canon - which brand provides better value for lenses?